[aprssig] Repeaters for mobiles.RE: OT: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear

Andre aprs at pe1rdw.demon.nl
Mon Jan 9 17:53:51 EST 2012

Op 9-1-2012 23:28, Bob Bruninga schreef:
> Was: RE: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear
>
>> DSTAR down here (South of Macon, GA) is pretty dismal.
> Actually, I did a quick check of APRS around Macon, and there are two D-Star
> nodes showing up on APRS (for mobiles) compared to 4 APRS recommended Voice
> Repeater Objects plus two IRLP nodes.  If these are showing up on RF as they
> should be every 10 minutes, then I'd say FM connectivity is about 3:1 over
> Dstar.
>
>> 2 meter FM is hopping here.  We're still putting up new machines...
>> Some are pretty quiet, but we try to use all of them for nets,
>> etc. so they stay active and we know if there are problems.
> Interesting point.  Since 2004 we have promoted the once-every-10 minute
> local FREQ object for travelers, but we do not want hardly-used repeaters
> being advertized so much.  On the otherhand, we do not want them to
> disappear from availability during an emergency.
>
> Therefore I need to think of a way to show this second tier of repeaters
> (kind of silent-majority) without burdening the local channel with moer
> Beacons.  Maybe this is where the many APRS query-response systems can help.
> They should list this second tier of available (but lightly used) open
> repeaters.
>
> Another possible idea is an OBJECT that contains the list of this secondary
> tier of useable local freqs.  Since every KPC-3 and many other digipeaters
> have multiple beacon capability, then they couild be used this way:
>
> BEACON1 CCCCCC    - The Digipeater's own callsign and position packet
> BEACON2 FFF.FFxyz - The #1 recommended check-in voice freq.
> BEACON3 EL-xxxxxx - The local IRLP or Echolink node
> BEACON4 etc
> BEACON5 MACON     - This city-named Object contains a LIST of other freqs.
>
> So when driving though MACON Georgia, on will see the FFF.FFF show up as the
> contact frequency, but then the driver can also select the MACON object and
> see a list of additional freqs or assets.  Though I cannot come up with a
> good format that will nicely fit all displays for all freqs.  But for 10 KHz
> repeaters Id use the format:
>
> 14676T100
> 14724T156
> 22225T067
> 44420T103
>
> Which is the frequency without decimal point, then the APRS Tone, and then a
> space.  Each field is 10 bytes long as fits nicely on most displays.
>
> Bob, WB4aPR

There is another addition to add to it, when someone transmits an mic-e
beacon on a repeater, have the repeater pass it on with an aditional
posit beacon from the repeater showing in the comment the frequentie and
last heard station, offcourse without a path.
This will promote the use of mic-e beaconing on the repeaters lifting
the congestion on the main aprs channel a bit as wide1-1 use will be cut
down, the mobiles have a bigger change of actualy making it trough and
the repeater gets promoted more when it is being used.
The software for it should not be to hard as only the call of the last
mic-e beacon needs to be decoded and insterted in the comment field of
the posit beacon.
the added beacons from this should not add to much to the on air time as
it will be tail to tail with the mic-e beacon eliminating a second txd.

73 Andre PE1RDW