[aprssig] OT: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Mon Jan 9 18:24:00 EST 2012

On 1/9/2012 6:12 PM, Amateur Radio WB8NUT wrote:
> DMR might be more widely used outside of amateur radio, but within amateur
> radio, D-Star is clearly the defacto standard at this point.
>
> As for lowered unit costs, the PS market is much larger than the amateur
> market and lowered per unit costs have not occurred there as of yet.
>
> DMR was developed for the public service market, such as police, fire, etc.

Actually it was developed by ETSI (European Technical Standards Institute) as a
multipurpose digital radio protocol for public safety, utilities, commercial
land mobile AND for inexpensive consumer devices similar to our FRS (Family
Radio Service).

> D-Star was developed specifically meet the needs of amateur radio.

Actually it was developed by a consortium of Japanese radio mfrs as a potential
digital radio protocol for commercial land mobile somewhat similar to DMR, and
was then offered royalty-free to JARL for ham use to essentially "beta test"
the system under real-world conditions.

One huge advantage of DMR is that you can achieve 4800 BPS data transfer in a
12.5 KHz channel or 9600 BPS in a classic 25 KHz channel (two 12.5KHz DMR
channels bonded) for non-voice uses, even on VHF or UHF.