[aprssig] OT: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear

Amateur Radio WB8NUT duffy at wb8nut.com
Mon Jan 9 18:12:37 EST 2012

DMR might be more widely used outside of amateur radio, but within
amateur radio, D-Star is clearly the defacto standard at this point.

As for lowered unit costs, the PS market is much larger than the amateur
market and lowered per unit costs have not occurred there as of yet.

DMR was developed for the public service market, such as police, fire, etc.

D-Star was developed specifically meet the needs of amateur radio.

So we can use someone else's "standard", or we can use our own.

One thing is for sure, it is going to be interesting to say the least.
Icom may choose to reduce the price of the radios to maintain their
lead. Yaesu could do the same to try and grab market share and credibility.

Or, the price of radios will remain high since each will have their own
"standard" and they can demand it because of lack of competition. In
that case it is name your own poison.

Cannot wait until Dayton. Let the Great Digital War of 2012 begin!

Duffy
www.wb8nut.com