[aprssig] OT: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear

Sander Pool sander_pool at pobox.com
Mon Jan 9 17:20:32 EST 2012

I agree this is a missed opportunity. When I started reading about EL I
kept looking for the part where it shows how to 'log on' to announce
your presence. Naturally I never found it. Perhaps as some point this
can be attempted again but I see repeater and QSY information as lower
hanging APRS fruit. Wider addoption of those two simple concepts would
be great in itself.

In any case, I think DSTAR is an example of how commercial interest can
drive a system to completion and availability for a large group of
people. Not for everyone but then not everyone has an antenna farm with
multiple rotating beams and a 1500W amp behind the transmitter either.

73,

    Sander W1SOP