[aprssig] OT: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear

Amateur Radio WB8NUT duffy at wb8nut.com
Fri Jan 6 15:41:52 EST 2012

Finally some reasonable discussions on this. So I admit not knowing much
about the Yaesu Moto thing, but as already stated the Codecs for both
the Yaesu method and the Icom method are both proprietary. So the price
challenge or "tax" is going to exist for both systems.

What's next? Kenwood, TenTec and Elecraft potentially could enter into
the markets with their own digital designs?

All that does is create confusion among we the amateur consumers and
when that happens everyone suffers because market uncertainty delays
adoption of technology. That benefits no one - consumers or manufacturers.

But it seems to me that D-Star is well established and growing. People
have even created their own non-Icom D-Star repeaters. I even believe
the D-Star gateway software in use throughout most of the world is
mostly a U.S design enhancing what the Japanese created. We just made it
better and added more functionality.

That being said, it would be better for Yaesu to build upon what is
already there instead of trying to recreate the wheel. The time for
trying to create a war of technologies to let the "best man win" so to
speak as already passed. Yaesu should have tried this years ago when
D-Star was first introduced, not after it has experienced significant
adoption around the world.

For those "who don't get the whole D-Star thing" need to take a serious
look at what it does and what it is capable of. I too was a D-Star
nay-sayer until two years ago while I was on a trip visiting my daughter
in Atlanta. I stopped by the Ham Radio Outlet store in Atlanta where
Mark, KJ4VO spent about two hours educating me on D-Star and showing me
what is was capable of for amateurs. I was blown away. I had no idea.

When traveling around to most areas of the midwest and southeast, it is
hard to scare up a conversation on any of the local FM repeaters. But
jump to a D-Star repeater and you can talk to hams locally or around the
world. Seems like D-Star gives amateurs a reason to get back on VHF and UHF.

JMHO

Duffy
www.wb8nut.com