[aprssig] OT: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Fri Jan 6 10:40:51 EST 2012

What it all comes down to, is standards are standards, modes are modes.  Because
these radios use "repeaters" for broader range communications, that equipment
has to be in place "first", before there will be any "real" ability to use the
user equipment.  ICOM was giving away single frequency repeater systems, because
they finally understood the "chicken and egg" problem.   I think it's vital for
amateur radio users to "pick" their battles for "open" in a way that provides
for "the right technology" to win.  So far, D-Star pricing has kept it out of
"mass appeal".   Yaesu's pricing will likely not be any "better", because they
do have to make money, and as a "new" company, they won't have "extreme" margins
to ride on, without pricing appropriately, and 'winning' customers with those
prices.

The most important thing about D-Star is that it is already here, and already
being used.  The MOTO-TRBO gear is also, already here, but not in "HAM
packages", but rather pricy, used equipment off of eBay.  If we all go after
MOTO-TRBO, and say that's what we want, then all the D-Star equipment will still
be available and being used, and we'll all have to carry around 2 HTs to be able
to use both standards.  Buying tons of extra equipment to deal with
compatibilities just seems nuts to me.

I think the best thing to do, is send communications to Yaesu and ICOM, and
suggest that the only way that their technology will succeed, is if they also
have radios that support both technologies.  Then the digital standard will be
more like a PL-Tone kind of configuration issue for a particular
frequency/repeater, and not a "whole radio/vendor" deal.

Then, the two technologies can compete freely, and openly on additional
features, such as FEC to support range, external radio interfaces for APRS or
other digital protocols, price and reliability of repeater systems etc.

Gregg Wonderly