[aprssig] OT: Yaesu to release digital amateur radio gear

Amateur Radio WB8NUT duffy at wb8nut.com
Fri Jan 6 09:56:00 EST 2012

Icom does not own the rights to D-Star and did not develop it. JARL
developed it and it is an open standard. That being said, any
manufacturer can build equipment and NOT pay royalties to Icom or JARL.
The only thing proprietary is the AMBE Codec, about $20 on a chip. I
believe AMBE has developed the Codec for P25 and all the variants. So it
will be same issue for Yaesu.

You asked who has developed non-Icom DStar equipment? Robin, AA4RC has
developed both the DVDongle and the DVAP. Fred, has been working on
numerous offering, one of which is a D-Star digital voice adapter.
http://www.dutch-star.eu.

Several people have created and sell D-Star hotspots.

Kenwood remarkets an Icom D-Star radio in Japan.

I think Yaesu has gone their own way because competing with Icom would
mean competition and price drops. With everyone using their own digital
method means higher radio prices for all of us. One standard means lower
prices and lower profits.

I do believe what Yaesu will be introducing could well be completely
closed and proprietary.

Regards,

Duffy
www.wb8nut.com