[aprssig] Object Naming Conventions

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sat Feb 25 07:11:44 EST 2012

On 2/25/2012 7:00 AM, Pete Loveall AE5PL Lists wrote:
> Object names can have underscores.  Item names cannot.  If someone does not follow the spec in their software, that is their issue.  Don't confuse objects with items.  They are two different animals with different specifications.  The spec is clear that -all- printable ASCII characters are allowed in the 9 character Object name.  If it is an Item, yes you should reject Items with ! or _ in the name

Well, since the ! or _ are the name delimiter, by spec definition it
won't be in the item's name, the name will just be shorter, right?

And since part of the OBJECT server's task is to generate an
Item-In-Message response, then the object/item names created by that
OBJECT server should probably not allow ! or _ in order to provide the
expected operation.

> just as you should reject callsigns that have punctuation in them (single hyphen before a one or 2 character SSID, total length not to exceed 9 characters is allowed in a callsign).

While we have the ear (er eyes) of someone more familiar with the spec
that us newbies are still coming to grips with, is it also a callsign
limitation that the portion before the dash contain only up to 6
characters?  ABCDEFG-N is not valid?  Or is valid?  I know it's invalid
for AX.25 purposes, but when allowing character-based -SSIDs, it's a
question worth asking to help guide new client configuration validators.