[aprssig] POI engine on APRS-IS

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Feb 24 19:00:34 EST 2012

> To have an object server respond to three different
> destination address is a waste of  the system,...
> this would preclude anybody having say a "QRZ" server
> that dished up QRZ responses for example.

Quite the contrary.  We only need one QRZ server independent of whether you
are asking about an OBJECT or a STATION or anything else.  You are simply
asking QRZ about XXXXXX.  The response would be the same.  You'd get back an
ITEM-in-MSG with the APRS -IS knowledge on that XXXXXX.

This is why it should be its own FUNCTIONAL service andnot just another
format of a special case of something buttoned onto an OBJ server.

The FUNCTIONS should be independent.  Does not matter where they reside.

Bob, Wb4APR