[aprssig] POI engine on APRS-IS

Charles Blackburn ai4ri at cfl.rr.com
Fri Feb 24 09:26:32 EST 2012

The problem I have with the co-ordinates is that hessu's library only
supports decimal degrees for lat/long. So everything has to be in that
format. While I personally prefer dd.mm.ss those pesky euros have to have it
different :P so I'm contrained to that. Now as far as anything that gets
sent to the user in a message, I guess I could convert to dms, but as far as
the actual packets goe, I am limited to that.

To have an object server respond to three different destination address is a
waste of  the system, while probably easily accounted for, I think it's
un-necessary, also, this would preclude anybody having say a "QRZ" server
that dished up QRZ responses for example.

As far as messaging on ht's etc, the only aprs capable radios I have are a
d7, d700, d710 and d72 and I use them (at least the d7/700) on a daily
basis. Not always for messaging but I use them to monitor my aprs-is server.

I will bow to peer pressure if that's the general consensus, I feel it's
just making the whole "object" (scuse the pun) of the exercise too overly
complicated.

charlie