[aprssig] POI engine on APRS-IS

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Feb 24 09:10:51 EST 2012

I disagree on multiple destination addresses to talk to the same
server.  You've now increased it to 3, OBJECT - to define them, KILL -
to kill them, and QRZ - to query them.  The object server is a single
server and should respond to a single message destination name,
OBJECT.   Commands to said server should be in the message content.

Yes, I've done messaging QSOs on a D700, and recently at that.  I'm
familiar with bringing up the message list to edit it.  It's almost as
easy to poke the button to move from the OBJECT destination to the
content field, cursor past the object name, enter *KILL* and then DELete
the remainder of the message and sent it.  Especially for as
infrequently as I expect people to (not) kill their objects rather than
just let them age away and disappear.

And I state again, please don't assume that all APRS messaging RF
stations are the current crop of radios.  TT4s do messaging with
displays and keyboards and I don't know if they have message recall.
Tracker2's do messaging from Garmin Nuvis and I'm pretty sure they don't
do any message recall.  And the new YagTracker also does messaging (I
think) but I don't know about recall/edit/resend capabilities there.

This is a single OBJECT server, and I believe it should remain a single
message target.  Otherwise we're setting a precedent that servers can
consume any number of message destinations that may be so generic (like
QRZ/KILL) that their use for one function precludes there use from
future servers where they may make more sense.  Namespaces are precious
and limited resourses, let's not squander them unnecessarily.