[aprssig] POI engine on APRS-IS

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Feb 24 09:03:23 EST 2012

Please use the APRS standard for LAT/LONG.  DEG and decimal minutes...

00:38:15< Obj: OBJECT Created at 29.122 / -80.987

> It will even let you kill an object but ONLY IF
> YOU ARE THE OWNER! By using the "<OBJECT NAME> *KILL*" command.

I object strongly. (Pun intended). The proposed format is for the KILL
function to be implemented by sending the SAME message text that created the
object to the KILL address.  This is for ease of use of the SENDER.  All he
has to do is call up the old object message, change the TOADDRESS to KILL
and it will send the KILL message.

Introducing yet another format is not a good idea in my opinion.

There is a lot of kibitizing on this project and I hope that only those who
have complete and frequent experience with sending messages from the APRS
HT's are contributing.  That is the only intent of this function.  So if
every aspect of this project is not totally committed to simplifying the
process on these HT's then we are missing the mark.

> ALSO... (just for S & G's) anyone can query the existence
> of an object by using the "<OBJECT NAME> *QTH*" command...

Same comment.  Send the <objectname> message to the message address of QRZ
makes more sense to me.  This way we have a consistent set.

Send to OBJ to create the object.
Send to KILL to kill the object,
Send to QRZ to see who owns it.

Bob, WB4APR