[aprssig] New MSG-OBJ format (rev b)

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Wed Feb 22 15:00:58 EST 2012

To make it optional, it must be enclosed in brackets [] as you
originally proposed because otherwise a 2 character word at the
beginning of the comment would look like an overlayed symbol.

Inclusive of the [], that gives 4 characters for the second word for a
table/symbol specification, but if we want to allow a shorter
specification for the primary table, the / can be eliminated giving a 3
character second word.  This would mean that [/b] and [b] would both be
a motorcycle, but the latter has one fewer special characters to be typed.

You are correct that a symbol spec always has 2 characters, a table or
overlay and a symbol within that table.  The 3 character proposal
(including the brackets) was a short-cut for primary table symbols.