[aprssig] POI engine on APRS-IS (no engine required!))

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Tue Feb 21 11:29:27 EST 2012

Nope, it won't work.  Consider this:

Mobile APRS radio user transmits a new wild-card Item-In-MSG and while
that message is retrying, continues to hike down the trail.  The object
moves with him/her until the message retries stop.

Another issue with that is that the Item-in-Message receivers MUST have
heard the originator's position beacon to know where the item should
be.   Worse, they may have heard a posit from the originator 10 minutes
BEFORE the Item-in-Msg was received, again putting the item in the wrong
place.

APRS messages need to not rely on 100% reception of packets to piece
things together in all clients.  APRS-IS is MUCH more robust in this manner.

I do like transmitting an Item-in-Message back to the object originator
as the acknoledgement of the object create, but I still believe an
APRS-IS server is desirable to keep the object refreshed periodically
for some period of time.