[aprssig] APRS Local Info Initiative

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Feb 17 08:41:20 EST 2012

The Kenwoods do not autoset the UHF offset.  I never understood why.  Makes
no sense, because if the frequency is above 445, then it has to be MINUS and
if it is below 445, then it has to be +.  And every ham knows that, so no
need to have to transmit it...

SO I guess if you want the radio to QSY, then you should include it.

Bob, WB4APR

I was giving someone a hand with the IRLP APRS status script on
their node and commented that the frequency wasn't entered
correctly for users of the D72/D710/FTM350 (does the VX-8GR also
do this?) to use the tune/QSY buttons. While trying to make
suggestions, I noticed that the node is on a UHF frequency with a
minus offset. Do these radios automatically handle the offset or
should the offset direction be included in the object?

The following pages are related, but I couldn't find a mention of
offset / shift direction.

http://aprs.org/localinfo.html
http://aprs.org/hamfest.html
http://aprs.org/info/netsked.txt

Shift is mentioned on the following page, but not how it is
implemented. Going by the original IRLP APRS status
script, I believe it should be after the tone. Is this correct?
Should it be blank or an S for simplex?

http://aprs.org/aprstt.html

Is it assumed that the radio will automatically use the correct
offset? If so, will it do this when there's an oddball frequency
e.g. on 70cm with a minus offset? Or is the operation dependant
on the object showing the actual shift direction?

73 es cul - Keith VE7GDH