[aprssig] APRS callsigning for internationally travelling hams?

Bruce Coates bruce.coates at sasktel.net
Wed Feb 15 15:06:50 EST 2012

Hi Andrew

This topic surfaces every couple of years.  Here's a response that I
posted in 2009:

The intent of appending the regional prefix is to let other stations
know that what they are receiving is local rather than DX.  This is very
common on HF and less common on higher frequencies.  Many references say
the same for Canadian hams operating in the US.  It's intended as a
courtesy but not a strict legal requirement.  When it comes to APRS,
everyone already knows exactly where you're transmitting from because of
your position beacon so trying to appending a regional prefix is
redundant. If you want to keep everyone perfectly happy you can always
throw a "Fishing in Ontario" in your status.

In short, you don't have to change anything.  You can concentrate on
enjoying the country rather than fiddling with your radio settings.  In
case you're wondering you would still run on 144.390 and most of the
digipeaters support WIDEn-n.

73, Bruce
VE5BNC