[aprssig] D700 on WX station.

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Feb 12 02:09:00 EST 2012

On 2/12/2012 1:42 AM, KB5ILY - Travis W. Burton wrote:

> What I would like to do is connect the wx station to the D700 and have that
> transmitted on side A, (now for the main part for me sending this) on side B
> of the D700 be able to TX & RX to our spotters on 2m.
>
> I do not own or operate a D700 except very rarely.  Can this work or would it
> be better to put a straight 2m rig on the WX station ?
>

> Would a PC have to be between either the 2100 and D700 or 2100 and DR-135TP ?
> Or is the 2100 connectable directly ?

The D700 has no explicit support directly for weather stations.  You would have
to place the 700 in "Packet" mode where an external computer controls the
D700's TNC,   and then run a suitable weather-oriented APRS app.

(The D710 and TH-D72  can work directly with some weather stations, but the
older D700 and TH-D7 won't)

Note that if the weather station was using band A of the D700 (assuming a
suitable computer and program) that this would be rather intrusive to working
the spotters on the B side.     If both activities are on the same band (i.e. 2
meters), you can LISTEN on both sides simultaneously with no problem --BUT--
every time one side of the D700 transmits, the other side is blocked and muted;
i.e. every time A beacons, you will get a 1 or 2 second hole punched in
whatever you are listening to on B.        (You can set the D700 options to
inhibit transmit on A whenever the squelch is open on B. If the WX station was
due to transmit, it will wait until the squelch closes on B, then transmit.
However, this can also be very annoying.  If you were in a fast-fire
back-and-forth conversation on B at the time, the WX beacon will key up the
instant the squelch closes on B, causing you to miss the the next person's
voice transmission as the B RX get muted.)

You can only have full simultaneous uninterrupted operation of both sides if
one side is on 2M and the other on UHF.

Even if you use two separate radios, there is no practical way to operate two
different frequencies in the SAME band without massive receiver overload and
blocking of RX on one radio whenever the other transmits.  Unless of course,
you want to put the two operations on fixed frequencies and use repeater-type
duplexers and cavity filters to isolate the two setups.

> If I have to use a straight 2m rig, I can find a KPC plus somewhere.

The cheapest and simplest approach would probably be a Byonics WX Track, which
is a TinyTrack III tracker with different weather-centric firmware in it.  Just
a $40 box between the WX station and any garden-variety two-meter rig's mic
jack.   However, I'm not sure the WX-Trak supports this particular WX station.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

*****  NEW   Precision Mapping 9 For UIview Released! *****
    http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PMap9_Notes.htm

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7

30-meter HF APRS over PSK63
    http://wa8lmf.net/APRS_PSK63/index.htm

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths