[aprssig] Prolific USB<>RS232 woes (Was Re: New tablet usable for APRS.)

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Sun Feb 5 19:24:20 EST 2012

On 2/5/2012 11:22 AM, Dave wrote:
> I would have posted all the diagnostic/health info as requesed on one
> list (run and populated by MS MVP's etc) but again, I can't get the
> blessed thing to NOT reboot after a crash, when it does restart, it has
> all the files I need to wrap and send, but because it's sitting there
> with a dialog waiting for me to tell it if it can send it all to MS, and
> I guess the files are open and locked by that, I can't even open or copy
> them.   Once that error reporting dialog is let run, or closed, it erases
> the files!
Something that I've found to work for these kinds of things, is to use
"Explorer" to try and copy the files to a folder that already has the same named
files existing.  If try and copy with "right click to copy" kind of drag and
drop, the files, appear to get "locked", while windows prompts you to
"overwrite" the existing files.  If you then confirm the overwrite, once the
files become unlocked by the other application, they will usually copy, for me.
I haven't tried this tactic, specifically with crash files.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW