[aprssig] Prolific USB<>RS232 woes (Was Re: New tablet usable for APRS.)

Dave dave at g8kbv.demon.co.uk
Thu Feb 2 08:57:04 EST 2012

I do wonder if that's the case.   I and friends have not had any "Error
10" problems though, but they are "cheap and nasty" type construction.
What I have is a USB 'A' plug, to 4 RS232 D9 male connectors, resulting
in 4 serial ports.  The packaging was branded "Pro Signal", but the
device itself has no markings.

However, I also have a well made branded single port device that also
uses Prolific drivers, and that causes trouble too with some radios, but
no BSoD's.

Most odd.

I guess the fakers (if that's the problem) could have improved their
product, but not enough.

Don't suppose anyone knows a definitive way to ID genuine vs fake
Prolific chipset?  Some special software tool that talks direct using the
USB bypassing any installed drivers perhaps.

Cheers.

Dave B.