[aprssig] APRS client for Macbook Air?

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 09:21:17 EST 2012

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 6:35 AM, Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr)
<ldeffenb at homeside.to> wrote:

> NMEA isn't APRS.  You might get posits and most or all of the comment, but many times the symbol is changed.

If we're talking $GPWPL, the standard NMEA waypoint, you get:

lat
lon
name

That's it. No comment, symbol, etc.

There are two "extended formats" for waypoints; some of the
opentrackers will output Garmin custom waypoints (which used in
conjunction with Scott's custom icon set is handy), and the OTs and
newer Kenwoods output a custom string understood by the Avmap units.

Garmin says "The $PGRMW sentence provides the ability to update a
waypoint’s symbol, altitude, and comment."  Both NMEA and Garmin
waypoint sentences are required for complete information.

I did a quick google and didn't turn up any documentation for the
Kenwood $PKWDWPL sentence, but I believe it has more information than
the Garmin+NMEA.

--
-Jason
kg4wsv