[aprssig] Emergency Locate: Avoid putting "EMERGENCY" (all caps) in beacons please!

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 10 00:10:20 EST 2012

Thanks for mentioning this, Curt. YAAC also recognizes the string "EMERGENCY" and puts a flashing pointer around the reporting station, and it beeps, too. I've seen quite a few stations reporting bogus emergencies for no apparent reason. Thankfully, the local guy in my area who forwards emergency response reports as APRS objects carefully mangles the spelling of "emergency" to keep from tripping those alarms.

However, it does appear that a few people use emergency status in Mic-E position reports, again without any apparent reason. Please only do that if it is a real emergency, and try to provide some info about the emergency if at all possible, to aid responders.

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO
author of YAAC