[aprssig] A/N football is underway

Heikki Hannikainen hessu at hes.iki.fi
Sat Dec 8 03:04:37 EST 2012

On Fri, 7 Dec 2012, Robert Bruninga wrote:

> Please watch on RF, or watch only briefly and close your APRS.FI connection
> because people at the Naval Acadmey are having a hard time seeing the track
> due to everyone else hogging the APRS.FI connections.

That's not quite right. Take a look at the last graph (Number of users
viewing aprs.fi):

http://aprs.fi/stats/weekly

The 1.7k concurrent viewers the other day was due to the CNSP-18 balloon
event, which took CPU use on (one of ) the servers to almost 150% (800%
being the maximum with 8 CPU cores on a server). It should happily take
quite a lot of additional users.

http://he.fi/misc/aprsfi-cpu-week.png

It seems like some users from the naval academy attempted to load
aprs.fi's user interface in a way that looked like a misbehaving robot,
and the whole /24 network got rate limited due to that. I'm guessing
someone tried to use the user interface as an API (programming interface)
again.

   - Hessu