[aprssig] How many Hams does it take to watch a balloon event?

Steve Daniels steve at daniels270.eclipse.co.uk
Fri Dec 7 18:53:27 EST 2012

Although being guilty of adding to the noise, I agree in hindsight it would
have been better if a few posts had been made including links to more
appropriate groups/lists for further discussion.

That said I think most people would agree it was a fantastic flight attempt,
and highlighted very well what amateurs are capable of, it was not just a
Transatlantic flight, hard enough in itself, but also a Transamerica flight.

I agree that frequency switching is a good idea and it's been discussed, as
well as trying to get though the ISS mid Atlantic.
That said I made a few new friends contacting people to attempt to get
people to monitor 144.390

I am on several lists that include subjects I am not interested in, I just
ignore the messages.

Agreed it might have got a little out of hand here, but that's down to
peoples excitement, something I certainly don't want to discourage.
I now have several Sea Scouts wanting to learn Amateur Radio and Radio in
General.

Conditions are only right a couple of weeks a year to try this sort of thing
so it not going to flood the list a lot.

Steve Daniels
Amateur Radio Callsign G6UIM