[aprssig] CNSP-18 via ISS can work

Robert Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Tue Dec 4 18:02:24 EST 2012

> I can't think of any way to have the [ISS]radio capture
> the Balloon's packets reliably since there would be so
> much traffic...

No, the only time the ISS is needed is away from land and there is no
other traffic out there.  Also, the ISS digi already supports WIDEn-N
digipeating as it is, so it would work as long as the radio was switched
to 144.39 or whatever freq the balloon was on.

But then the coordination to get the ISS crew to do such a simple thing at
exactly the right pass over the middle of the atlantc, would take a
month's planning.... IE, practically impossible.

The easy fix is to have trans-atlantic balloons ALTERNATE between
144.39/(144.80) and 145.825 on every other packet just for this case.
Then no one has to do anything, but monitor the ISS when it passes over
the Atlantic.

Bob, Wb4APR