[aprssig] Firenet Servers, alternatives

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 13:13:54 EST 2012

On Mon, 3 Dec 2012, Curt, WE7U wrote:

> On Tue, 4 Dec 2012, Stephen H. Smith wrote:
>
>> Firenet now working both via the direct IPs and firenet.us
>>
>> --BUT--
>>
>> the NWS advisory/watch/warnings feed seems to not be working again, either
>> with   t/n   or e/WE7U-WX.....
>
> Did some checking.  Looks like the server the weather alerts are being
> processed on was rebooted and the weather daemon threw an error on startup.
>
> I just fixed it and am watching all three Firenet servers to make sure
> weather alerts are showing up.  Nothing so far but it might be a quiet period
> for alerts.

It wasn't a quiet period.  The mail system was inoperative on that server and couldn't be restarted due to some error.  I'll let the owner of that machine fix that when he gets around to it.  Of course the weather alert processing scripts were using the mail system as an intermediate transport...  Therefore no weather alerts.

I reconfigured the weather alert processing to call the parsing and injection scripts directly (w/o the mail system).  This should make weather alerts more reliable, although I'm having to run on lack of sleep today.  A side-effect of this work is that it should make it easier to copy the scripts and methods to Firenet-2/Firenet-3 so I can kick on the processing there quickly if the primary server goes down.

It might work better to move weather alert processing on both of those machines now, injecting weather alerts into the Firenet system in duplicate.  The system should do dupe-checking and remove the dupes for the end-user, which means the weather alerts would be more reliable long-term.  If I get some free time I might do that soon.

I verified last night that weather alerts appear on all three Firenet servers if injected into Firenet-2, however Firenet-1 appears to be down again today.  I guess we got the round-robin DNS going at about the right time!

--
Curt, WE7U.        http://wetnet.net/~we7u