[aprssig] [aprsisce] DX reformatting (and APRS usage)

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Aug 3 10:48:51 EDT 2012

> DX reports only go to the DX list as far as I know.
> They're "special" packets and aren't really APRS
> stations so I doubt that they'd show up there.
> I know they only go to the DX screen on my D700.

And the D7, not sure about the D72.

But the original APRS would also capture any DX cluster packets it could make sense out of.. such as any SPOT that contained a grid square it would capture and add to the STATION LIST so it could be plotted on the map using the GRID-SQUARE box symbol.  Any MAIL-FOR beacons, it would capture and add to the MESSAGE LIST.

See:  http://aprs.org/APRS-docs/DXCLUSTR.TXT

In addition, since the APRS radios all had the DX LIST, we also incorporated the ability to rransmit INFO to those lists into APRSdos.  We called these PACKETS and the INFORMAITON content as RESOURCES.  This is because the presence of those lists in those radios allowed us to PUSH more into to the participants of an event that they could call up at any time by calling up the DX list instead of the STATION LIST.

See:  http://aprs.org/APRS-docs/RESOURCE.TXT

This decluttered the STATION LIST which is SO IMPORTANT for organizing APRS data to the radio and APRS user ;-)