[aprssig] TT4 Config for High Altitude Balloon

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Apr 8 21:10:59 EDT 2012

On 4/8/2012 8:27 PM, John Gorkos wrote:

> Digi path should just be WIDE2 (next flight, we'll have a more intelligent
> controller with altitude-variable digi paths).

Arrrgh!!!!!      NO!   At the most, only WIDE2-1 -- if any path at all is to be
used.    You will almost guarantee the buggy KPC3 delayed packet problem by
blasting WIDE2-2 over the vast area reachable by two hops from altitude.

This is the infamous bug where KPC3 TNCs being used in KISS mode as igates
randomly delay received packets for several minutes before forwarding them to
the attached computer (and then to the APRS-IS).  The result is old posits
arriving on the ARPRS-IS  long after new ones, causing the position and
altitude of the balloon to "hyper-jump" back and forth and up-and-down.

The larger the area you spray posits over (and therefore the number of igates
you are likely to hit simultaneously (where some will be buggy KPC3s and some
not),  the more likely this problem is to occur.

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

High-Performance Software-Only Packet TNC
    http://wa8lmf.net/miscinfo/UZ7HO-Soundmodem-Install-Ver-0.431-Beta.exe

*****  Precision Mapping 9 For UIview  *****
    http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/PMap9_Notes.htm

  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7

   http://wa8lmf.net/DigiPaths