[aprssig] Iridium humbles APRS

Russ Chadwick russ at wxqa.com
Sun Apr 8 09:45:31 EDT 2012

One aspect of sending packets through Iridium is that there is much less
chance of large delays sometimes caused by I-gates when using APRS-IS.
This PowerPoint has results of a study done last year comparing Iridium
and APRS-IS for carrying APRS packets from balloons.

http://www.wxqa.com/packet_delays_144390.pptx

The balloon flights labeled with callsigns used APRS-IS and the flights
labeled with AIRCOR used Iridium.  The large delays sometimes seen
significantly degrade the usefulness for reporting balloon positions to
the FAA ATC.

Russ
KB0TVJ