[aprssig] Iridium humbles APRS

Brian Moore kd0qct at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 14:34:05 EDT 2012

Bob, I can't thank you enough for your APRS system, I am a new ham and
still a technician class one at that. I am a huge proponent of APRS and see
its benefits for every ham. I hear your frustration when someone shows you
up with a multi-billion dollar satellite system like Iridium, and discards
APRS as a toy. Although a few weeks ago I read an email from you talking
about a satellite constellation for APRS on 145.825, and that could rival
Iridium's usefulness. It would not have the bandwidth, nor the operational
costs. Something like that would enhance the current terrestrial based APRS
network on 144.390, making truly global tracking, messaging, and
situational awareness possible without a need for new gear on the user end.
People use simple HT's to make contact through satellites every day.

I won't carry on much more, I just wanted to state that at least some of us
out here are aware of the boon to overall capabilities APRS adds as a
whole, your ideas are not falling on deaf ears. I don't go a day without
telling someone about APRS.

Thank you, Brian KD0QCT