[aprssig] Tomtom's For APRS (Question)

Jason Rausch jason at ke4nyv.com
Sun Apr 1 22:16:56 EDT 2012

> Even cell phones and tablets, powerful as they are, do not
> support plugging in just any USB peripheral.

Actually, that is true for most, but my new Acer Android A500 Tablet actually has a USB A SOCKET that accepts USB thumb drives, USB mice and USB keyboards.  The support has been worked into Android Honeycomb and Ice Cream Sandwich.  Does this help with the subject at hand?  No, not yet, but we might see extended support down the road to support standard USB chipsets such as the FTDI and Prolific USB-based devices.

With support for FTDI and Prolific, we can start adapting more legacy serial devices to a "USB" interface.  I put USB in quotes because anyone that has worked with these IC's knows that it's really a USB to serial interface.  A virtual comport is still used in the OS to talk to the interface.  Since Android is more like a Linux flavor, I would expect something more like a tty001, tty002 and so on ID.

Just food for thought!

Jason Rausch - KE4NYV
RPC Electronics, LLC
www.rpc-electronics.com