[aprssig] Lightsquared has new device to elimate gps interference

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Fri Sep 23 08:38:21 EDT 2011

Here's my take on LightSquared.  Right now, in the US, we are out of bandwidth
allocations for "4G" cellular service.  Everything that is not "deadly" has been
allocated it seems to me.  AT&T will not be able to provide the same speeds that
Verizon can, without a lot more spectrum.  All of the Cell providers are end to
end services.  There are 3 different combinations of spectrum and emission types
being used (GSM AT&T, GSM T-Mobile and CDMA Sprint/Verizon).  Because we haven't
ever got the FCC to change the "communications business model" to separate
"service" from "infrastructure", there has never been portability.

If LightSquared comes up with a viable network (the technical issues may require
some money to fix some of the problems with product replacement), then it would
for example allow "Apple" to be a "phone company", and purchase "infrastrucure"
from them, setting the stage for the other "networks" to be "eliminated".

If we could get to the point of letting companies build "RF capabilities" (for a
single RF emission and spectrum combination) and companies building "cell
phones", and companies selling cellular network "services", then we'd have
"competition" and "network portability" that would really make it necessary for
these companies to "innovate to compete".

Without the use of some kind of new spectrum, this "switch" of business models
won't ever happen in the US.  We are at a crossroads on available spectrum and
bandwidth with the existing networks, without an order of magnitude decrease in
the average cell size in populated areas.

I'm not a fan of them getting powered up, generating interference.  But, in the
long run, we need to get the economy going again with there being businesses
that are profitable and products that need to be purchased.  This is one of the
many places where new investment and new products could help the economy, but
also greatly help all of us have a better product and service.

Gregg Wonderly
W5GGW