[aprssig] The APRS AX.25 Frame

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 20 19:43:00 EDT 2011

Joseph,

I don't think anyone commented specificly on these, but I have explained these parts as follows:

> "APX200," = The destination, in practical application, it
> isn't really the destination, but it identifies the APRS software
> generating the packet...

It actually *is* a destination in the general sense.  The "AP" in front signifies that it is TO: ANY AND ALL AP(RS) stations within earshot.  This way it isn't such a change for anyone familiar with Packet.  I also consider it to be sort of an APRS 'message' "Super Group" that makes a bit more sense when you compare it to sending bulletins, messages, and group messages.  This way, it can also be seen how it could be compatible with any ordinary Packet Digi, since only APRS stations on freq interpret it as being TO: them.

  Then, the X200" part is where the original Packet has had things stuffed (very cleverly) into places that aren't needed when used for APRS (as there are others), and is used to indicate the client, as you know.

Then this:

> "WIDE1-1,WIDE2-1" = the packet path, 3 hops in this case,...

Nobody else appeared to catch this. This is a TWO hop, but it's either one fill and one Wide, or two Wides.

  Some of the Gurus here may have issues with the detail of these explanations, but this seems to fit with understanding as well as those I presented to, some of whom were old hands on Packet.

It is a balance between being 100% accurate *and* 100% complete  - and - simplifying too much for the sake of brevity.

Then, try explaining Mic-E !!

--
 73, Steve, K9DCI