[aprssig] APRS 1.2 expanded symbol set

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Mon Sep 19 17:31:51 EDT 2011

As soon as we get some graphic artists to draw up actual bitmaps (I know
Bob, you don't like bitmaps, but it's what the rest of the world uses)
for the new special combos as well as whatever the "BASE symbol for the
overlays" is.

Why can't the latter just be the current alternate table symbol for any
software that doesn't understand the new definitions?

Why suggest/require changing the base representation in the existing
alternate table?

I mean, if you do that, then a non-overlayed use of the symbol will be
different between new and old software.  You're saying that new software
should use the EXISTING alternate symbol for a non-overlayed station,
but non-changable software should have the non-overlayed symbol changed
for the new "BASE symbol for the overlays"?

Why not just let the latter alone so that non-overlayed uses look the
same no matter where they're viewed from and only newer overlay-aware
applications actually see the new definitions?

Otherwise, I'm coming to understand your intent with the corrected words.