[aprssig] [APRS] RE: Identifying TX Igates

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Mon Sep 19 17:08:27 EDT 2011

How about an alternate proposal?  Just find contact information for your
local IGate operator, contact him/her and a) ask if he transmits, b)
discuss symbol usage, and c) THANK HIM/HER for the time that is being
contributed to the greater good!

Hams are supposed to be about communications, so let's encourage
communicating.

Besides, some APRS messaging clients have trouble letting go of messages
that haven't been acked.  I'd really rather not start a flood of message
retries over days and days (if not months or years) directed to stations
that were specifically chosen because they DON'T ack messages.  It'd be
enough to have me question why I'm running an IGate for the community,
that's for sure.

Also, not all IGate software generates the IGATE capabilities packet
that must be behind the findu.com igate.cgi, so not all IGates will
necessarily show up in this page or might not have statistics
available.  There's an amazing diversity in the functions of the IGates
of the world.