[aprssig] Identifying TX Igates

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Mon Sep 19 16:46:37 EDT 2011

>> ...write a MESSAGE CRAWLER that then watches for MESSAGE
>> mobiles in... range of IGates, and PINGS them with a message
>> and then gathers statistics on if the mobile ACKS it.

> I can see it now, every mobile Kenwood radio out there devolves to only
> rejecting messages because their message list is full of... PINGs.
> I'm certainly not going to put MY callsign behind such a tool!

Good call.  You and Steve Dimse caught that.  OK, how about sending the
PINGS to nearby inanimate  DIGIs or dumb-one-way-tracker.  Then Steve
suggests, don't look for an ACK but use the FINDU.COM Igate Report CGI to
see 10 minutes later if that Igate reports having SENT a message.

This can be a good diagnostic tool that does not SPAM the network too badly.

OK, everyone.  START YOUR ENGINES.  DO us all a favor.  Look in your area,
help identify the unidentified "I" overlayed RX only IGates as follows:

1) Use the http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/igate.cgi?call=W8JFQ tool for that
Igate to see if it is reporting any TX packets.  If so, it is OK.  It is a
TX IGate.

2) For "I" type IGates that are reporting zero 0 TX messages, then send an
APRS-IS message to a nearby NON-MESSAGE RF station to that questionable "I"
overlayed IGate.  Then 10 minutes later check with Steve's
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/igate.cgi?call=W8JFQ Igate Report tool for that
IGate and see if it scored a TX.  If so, it is a TX Igate.  If not, it is RX
ONLY and make sure to contact the IGate owner and ask him to change his
symbol to an overlay "R" and report it to us too.

Will that do it?

Bob, WB4APR