[aprssig] [amsat-bb] Re: Gating Satellite Passes to local APRS RF

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Sep 18 16:00:39 EDT 2011

>> ALSO, the object included the satelite UPLINK and
>> DOWNLINK frequency.  Now with the new D72 and D710
>> and FTM-350 radios, they then could TUNE to thse
>> satellites with the push of the TUNE or QSY button!

> Really? I thought the APRS Freq Spec could only do offsets up to 9.9 MHz.

You got me!  Yes, the APRSdata format for sending out Satellite objects had both frequencies in the packet, but with the new standard Frequency format in APRS, the new radios will only one-button tune to the downlink.

But you can still see the uplink frequency in the packet, and so you can manually push the PROGRAM MEMORY of your radio and jump to your pre-saved frequencies for that bird.  Meanwhile you are already listening to what is going on.

By the way, the new APRS Frequency format does allow complete arbitray automatic tuning also for wide splits too, but the format requires the object name to be the FREQ to listen on, and then the frequency in the text becomes the TX frequency.

Bob, Wb4APR

Tom KD7LXL