[aprssig] APRS Satellite mode

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Sun Sep 11 15:01:04 EDT 2011

--- Bob Bruninga wrote, in part:
> > My original concept was poorly stated here.
> > I was thinking ... of just a "satellite message" mode.
> > So I guess it's better to call it a Camping Battery
> > Saver Satellite Message Mode....
>
> It is impossible to tell by decoded packets whether the
> channel throughput is low because no one is on, or that the
> throughoput is low because EVERYONE is on.
> Bob, Wb4APR

Ah yes.  I believe I understand.

Sat hears nothing ... or Sat hears nothing but collisions and is unable to decode anything. IN either case ground station hears nothing from Sat.

Hmmm.  Interesting probem.
Sounds like a fix is to beacon when hearing nothing, but make it often enough to 'catch the sat in a pass' in hopes of being decoded...  (sorry Mr. Battery.  (;-)
[Or have a pass schedule with you or in the software...]

Thanks, 73, Steve, K9DCI