[aprssig] APRS Satellite mode

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Sun Sep 11 14:40:04 EDT 2011

>> > Only beacon *if* you hear other traffic.  Why
>> beacon if there are no digis within earshot...?
> My original concept was poorly stated here.
>
> I was thinking ... of just a "satellite message" mode.
> So I guess it's better to call it a Camping Battery
> Saver Satellite Message Mode.
> how does it sound and what are some issues?

Yes, this was exactly what was implemented in the original APRSdos when placed in "SPACE" mode.  Read SPACE.TXT in the original docs.  Again, no other follow-on client to my knowledge implemented it.

The important WARNING however is to not make the mistake of stretching this to include "beacon more often if you do not hear yourself!"...  This is a Nuclear option that can melt down any APRS network.  Because when everyone is transmitting at max rate, then NO ONE is getting trhough and everyone tries harder making it worse!

It is impossible to tell by decoded packets whether the channel throughput is low because no one is on, or that the throughoput is low because EVERYONE is on.

Bob, Wb4APR