[aprssig] APRS Symbols - need new one

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Sun Oct 23 15:07:04 EDT 2011

On 10/23/2011 2:43 PM, John Galvin wrote:
> Looking through the available symbols, I can not find a suitable one to use
> for indicating a Staging area. We have an ICP symbol, but where is the
> Staging symbol to go along with it? I would like to see a Green square with a
> white "S" on it. This is the standard indicator.  There are lots of frivolous
> symbols and there looks to be some open spots. I think this symbol would be a
> great asset to all in the scheme of EmCom and SAR events.  What does the
> community say?

Once again, adding a new or changed symbol is NOT a trivial task.

Changing a symbol on YOUR system (assuming it can, in fact, be changed) DOES
NOT automatically make other users see the same symbol.

APRS does NOT transmit little bitmaps over the air.  Rather it sends a
two-character alpha-numeric code that causes the receiving station to select a
graphic from a set of images ALREADY STORED in the receiving station's device
or software.     In many many older programs and devices, this stored image set
can't be changed.

To make a new symbol work, your users would have to use exclusively programs
and hardware that can be updated,  and you would have to ensure that every user
has, in fact, updated their image set.

Details on the APRS symbol set and how they work are here on my website:

. <http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/APRS_symbols.htm>

Stephen H. Smith    wa8lmf (at) aol.com
=== Now relocated from Pasadena, CA back to 8-land (East Lansing, MI) ===
Skype:        WA8LMF
Home Page:          http://wa8lmf.net

=====  Vista & Win7 Install Issues for UI-View and Precision Mapping =====
     http://wa8lmf.net/aprs/UIview_Notes.htm#VistaWin7