[aprssig] Satellite positions: FREQUENCY

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Tue Oct 18 19:03:55 EDT 2011

On 10/18/2011 12:49 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> The HUMAN interface to the HT/Mobile FM satellite operator is just to see
> the "object" in his POSITION LIST and there it is displayed with a DISTANCE
> and BEARING and ELEVATION and FREQUENCY.

Nope, no ELEVATION in a position object.  Distance and Bearing might be
calculated from the Lat/Lon of a position packet, but position packets
are globally visible and have NO observer information, so no Elevation
makes sense to all possible receivers.

The Bearing is in the existing APRS message, which is also in his
message list.  Distance, IMHO, is meaningless, it's Azimuth (bearing)
and Elevation (observer specific) that matter, so the only thing missing
in the message is the frequency which is invariant for any given satellite.

So, I ask again, why TWO packets for every query instead of just ONE
that conveys all of the useful dynamic information specific to the
observer's location?