[aprssig] ISS Tracking & Pass Information (OBJECTS)

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Fri Oct 14 21:35:25 EDT 2011

On 10/14/2011 9:14 PM, Bob Bruninga wrote:

> In APRS, once received, and captured to the station list, OBJECTS were to be
> treated NO DIFFERENTLY than stations.  This was fundamental to APRS.  They
> were just two methods of sending the same POSITION information depending on
> whether the sender had to use a TNC to send it (MYCALL is the things name)
> or an  OBJECT Format so that the things name could be different from the
> MYCALL.

That may be true, but APRS-IS doesn't capture packets into a station
list.  It is a pipe through which packets flow and I suspect it, like
many routing networks, only looks at the outer wrapper of the packet
(the source callsign) and doesn't treat most packet contents as anything
special.  That's why APRS-IS filters have buddy/friend filters for
source calls and object filters for objects.  I doubt that the APRS-IS
designers ever actually thought of using APRS messaging with an object
as the object would have to become a source callsign to issue acks and such.

> OBJECTS and STATIONS should be treated the same once received.

Yes, once received, but the question with the "free" posit for messaging
is coming from the transport.

>> I suspect that the APRS-IS servers will not forward an object packet
>> behind a message packet..
> Then it is faulty code.

Then it is a different design than you might want in the current
scenario.  How many objects do you know from your past APRS experience
that have ever done messaging?  At least from the point of view of
having a "presence" location like a satellite?

PS. Not necessarily resisting change, but trying to work within the
infrastructure that is already in place to deliver new, creative
functionality.  We're getting closer all the time, if you don't mind the
discussion.