[aprssig] Satellite Predictions requires a) Beacon and b) Messaging IGate

Steve Noskowicz noskosteve at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 18 16:24:56 EDT 2011

I haven't been able to read all the remarks (Mac Hard Drive crash & Recovery under way - 95% back now) but...

As a potentially ignorant future user of this service:

6:45m and 6.75m are both are kinda' stuck to a wicket. (;-).

IS 6:45m  6 hours and 45 minutes?  Could be confusing if unknown up front.
Then 6.45m while "consistent" has to be mentally translated.  Yes, this is not a disaster, but unconventional in the normal timekeeping paradigm.

Then I wondered if 6m45 would be better...seems to be.
It seems to be saying "6 minutes, 45 [seconds implied] ".  That seems to have some basis for being easily deciphered.

I understand the bit about there being so many sats that asking for an estimate of the next few to AOS in my location sounds like a larger programming issue since they all have to be calculated rather then just the one I requested.

Finally, I have to ask that the goal of this service needs to be chewed on if not done in the posts I haven't read.

@ first, I was thinking this is useful only for Digi sats.  This for someone in a remote location trying to get email out (EMAIL or WinLink).
Then I thought, well, an FM sat would also be a good way to "get out", FM sats and those with either mobile or HT capability.

Any way, things like this need to be defined ... the requirements.  (spoken like a true retired Engineering Manager. (;-).

If it is for a seldom (and therefore ignorant of all the detail) user, things must be "obvious", or "intuitive" - whatever that means.

Also, the "useable part" of the pass is going to be a large variable, so quantifying it for a given user very difficult.

If economy of characters is important, then I think MaxEL could be shortened to simply EL, no?  I have done VERY little sat work, but still know the max EL is important, so if it just says EL, I *get* it.

73, Steve, K9DCI