[aprssig] AutoResponders talking to AutoResponders

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sun Oct 16 08:23:50 EDT 2011

The auto-reply in APRSISCE/32 doesn't do anything until a configurable
"Inactive For" timer has expired since the last noted operator
activity.  Then it turns itself on with whatever message you have
configured.  BUT, it goes further with a configurable "No More Than"
timer that will only send a single Auto-Reply to any messaging station
once per that interval.  So, if someone sends you a few messages so that
you'll see them when you get back in the shack, s/he gets a single
auto-reply on the first message.  If they come back, say an hour later,
and send you more messages, they'll again get a single auto-reply.  Oh,
and I force an AA: in front of the configured message to give the
receive a clue that this isn't a "normal" response.  (See also
http://aprsisce.wikidot.com/auto-reply)

I've had (or tried to have) APRS messaging QSOs with mobile Kenwood
operators where I'd get their auto-answer message with every single
message I send to them.  And when that flood has finally stopped
(considering a long original message broken into multiple parts for
transmission), I'd get the "ok" from them.  Needless to say, the QSOs
were short, and it had nothing to do with the difficulty of their typing
of messages.