[aprssig] Satellite positions: Objects or Stations?

Lynn W. Deffenbaugh (Mr) ldeffenb at homeside.to
Sat Oct 15 19:16:23 EDT 2011

On 10/15/2011 4:32 PM, la3qma at aprs.la wrote:
> I'm voting for the "qAS,KJ4ERJ".
> As long as its easy to find information on Internet on who is sending
> out this info and that we all agree that it's ok to use the "callsign"
> ISS, AO-51 etc
> Then people writing about this service also should mention that the
> origin is KJ4ERJ.

q-Constructs are only to be added to a packet by an APRS-IS server.  If
q-Constructs are present on packets being injected, they'll most likely
be dropped at the entry point as being the result of a possible (and
very dangerous) loop.  Can't do the qAS.

> The WHOI-IS WHO-15 is not telling who runs the service and i know that
> this is more like a "service" and not a callsign.

Actually, it comes close to it if you look at the raw packets on the
APRS-IS.  The callsign after the q-Construct is the APRS-IS logon of the
server responsible for injecting the packet into APRS-IS, typically the
callsign of the station running the WHO-IS server.

> Same goes for EMAIL why do it differently on ISS, AO-51 etc?

True, and the same goes for the injection server, and I could go for
that, but I'd like a more explicit source.  But, I believe I'm going to
stick with the objects, because I've got a better way to deliver (most
of, outside of QSY tuning) Bob's ACTUAL desired information instead of
the station posit that he was asking for.

> So maybe sending the a message to "ISS" with the text "%" then the
> return message is:
> "%AOS:2:27m+8:53m"
> instead of
> "AOS:2:27m+8:53m"

I kind of like that suggestion, but I'm really trying to keep this
smiple.  Send ANY text to ISS and you get the pass prediction.  Any
other special message formats to remember, and maybe 1% of the users
will remember them.

Let me see about getting the useful information into the hands and eyes
of ANY messaging platform before we go customizing the response and
building specific queries targeting a SINGLE platform.

PS.  In the past 2 hours there were 18,342 unique callsign-SSIDs active,
but 4,811 were objects.  6,047 stations indicated that they were
messaging capable or on platforms that are known (to APRSISCE/32) to be
messaging capable of which 1,155 were Kenwood radios (534 D710s, 449
D700s, 89 D72s, and 83 D7s) where some unknowable percentage of the
D700/D710 users have speech synthesizers.  2,678 were UI-View users.
229 were APRSISCE/32 users.  So, why would I build custom Kenwood speech
synthesizer support into a generic satellite pass auto-responder?