[aprssig] ISS Tracking & Pass Information

Bob Bruninga bruninga at usna.edu
Fri Oct 14 09:42:15 EDT 2011

> Pardon the tone of the following response.

I'll ignore the tongue lashing...;-)  but feedback including knee jerk feedback is often good to a developer because it gives feedback on first impressions.  That is usually quite insightful because everyone new to something will always be starting at state-zero and may also be tripped up by the same first impressions.

> 1:25h - Means 1 hour 25 minutes (hourly presentation)
> 45:24m - Means 45 minutes 24 seconds (minutes presentation)
> 30s - Means 30 seconds (obvious)
>
> As for these messages needing to include the
> satellite name because they'll be "sitting
> in the inbox", c'mon.

OK, I'll try to show why this is important... I send a message to ISS.  I get a response (more than half the time) of something like this... "its coming up in 9 hours and 45 minutes."  OK, so I send a message to AO51 and get the response "its coming up in 3 hours and 20 minutes"..  I keep trying a few more satellites.

BINGO, Now I have a bunch of messages, with times in them and have -no idea- which one refers to which satellite.  I have the infomation (delta times) and they are all sitting their for future use in my INBOX, but the information is practicallly useless as time goes by, because:

1) I have no reference to which satellite they refer to.
2) I have no clue to the reference time (in most radios)
3) Therefore the information is useless unless I am a mental genius and keep track of all this trivia in my head.

(or, did I miss that the message is actually originated by the satelltie object name callsign?  If so, ignore the need for the name).

Whereas, if the response is of the form:

> ISS  at 1745z MaxEL:10
> AO51 at 1425z MaxEL:45

Then later that day, I can check these old messages and see exactlly when to expect the pass and  how good it will be.

How about this compromise.

1) If the pass is less than 59 minutes away then indicate:

> ISS  in 17m MaxEL:10
> AO51 in 48m MaxEL:45

If the delta time is more than 1 hour, then indicate:

> ISS  at 1014z MaxEL:10
> AO51 at 0725z MaxEL:45

> I'm not trying to support the serious satellite
> users.  They've already got their own schedules
> and pass prediction software running.

But most of them do not bother mobile, beause it is just too much hassle to do all of that in advance or have a laptop always running in the car.  They would all love to be able to get htis info via APRS.

> I went with a pass duration rather than max
> elevation so novices can better plan their
> time investment.  They both basically
> communicate pass "quality" and "ease of
> working", but everyone understands time, while
> the experts have a handle on elevation.

Sorry, but time is of little value since it can be a longer low pass that one has no prayer of working from a mobile because it is so low.  So elevation tells it all.  A low max elevation is not worth bothering with no matter how long it is.  A high elevation pass will have a nearly 10 dB advantage to the mobile operator and is very important information.  And also, by definition it is longer.

And satellite operators know the approsimate lenght of a pass.  For a mobile, the shortest is the ISS with about 5 minutes useable.  For PCSAT1, about 10 minutes max.  All other satellties are somewhere in between or are not usually workable from an FM mobile rig with omni antenna.  So the few minutes difference is of little value.

I dont think people are going to arrange their daily schedules around whether a satellite is going to be useable fo 5 minutes or 8 minutes.  But they certainly will change plans for a 60 degree pass compared to a 10 degree pass.

Hope that fills in the background behind my comments.

Again, Great idea!
Later when we get the radios o implement ITEM-IN-MSG, then your engine can send out satellite objects to subscribed users!

Bob, Wb4APR