[aprssig] Balloons again

Al Wolfe alw.k9si at gmail.com
Thu Oct 13 12:05:41 EDT 2011

    Once again we have balloonist with apparently no idea of how to set
their path. Tuesday the Purdue effort with KC9UKT-5 and KC9USY-11 were aloft
with paths of Wide1-1. While I applaud these folks for their efforts, I
think a more beneign path of Wide2-1 would be much more appropriate. (For
that matter once these balloons reach 1k feet they probably don't need any
path.)

    I appreciate their efforts and benefits of the package being trackable,
and their desire to recover their assets. But somehow lighting up every
properly configured base station for 400 miles twice minute doesn't seem
like the right way to do it. Maybe if the chase vehicles were set to
temporarily digi Wide2 it would help.

    Of course, probably the best option would be to turn off or minimize any
paths above say 5k feet. A simple aneroid device could switch the TNC. Or it
could be done with a PIC looking at GPS altitude data. At low altitudes the
chasers need all the help they can get, so a 30 second rep rate and Wide1-x
would be quite useful. (Hint: An acoustical beeping device like the old
Sonalerts hung on the flight string has aided many package searches.)

73,
Al, K9SI