[aprssig] GPS interference?

Stephen H. Smith wa8lmf2 at aol.com
Wed Nov 23 23:05:20 EST 2011

On 11/23/2011 10:48 PM, Earl Needham wrote:
> Just had another incident of the same, about 8 miles south of Melrose, New
> Mexico.  Since there isn't much there, on a hunch I decided to turn off the
> GPS-V.  IMMEDIATELY the truck computer found the sats again, so --
>
> My GPS-V has an external amplified antenna on it.  It's about 7 or 8 years
> old, and has been through a lot of rain & snow.  Is itpossible the antenna
> has some corrosion somewhere, such that it might oscillate and cause
> interference in the GPS band?

Very possible.  Or it may getting overloaded and driven into oscillation by
nearby PCS (i.e. Sprint) cell sites.

Several years ago,  GPS quit functioning in the entire Monterey Bay, CA area.
After a week's panic search, it turned out to be an oscillating mast-mounted
preamp on a pleasure boat in Monterey's harbor.