[aprssig] More aloha circle questions

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 15:09:26 EST 2011

On Wed, Nov 16, 2011 at 1:53 PM, Andrew P. <andrewemt at hotmail.com> wrote:
> noticing reports from stations that can't possibly be APRS radio transmitters, because they have letters and/or multiple characters in their SSID (also noticed their path states they were forwarded over the Internet). Presumably, such "stations" shouldn't get range circles or be counted in aloha circle computation.,

If they are on the air, they count.  The Aloha circle calculation is
about bandwidth utilization and reliable communication.  It makes no
difference if there are two transmitters on the air or one transmitter
that is transmitting a position report and an object.

Ideally the location of the station transmitting the object should be
used for the aloha calculation, but I would assume that, in the
absence of transmitter location data, the location of the object would
be a reasonable approximation.

-Jason
kg4wsv