[aprssig] Some obscure APRS client questions

Gregg Wonderly gregg at wonderly.org
Mon Nov 14 17:09:39 EST 2011

On 11/13/2011 6:27 PM, Keith VE7GDH wrote:
> Bob W9RXR wrote...
>> There is nothing trivial about manually and repetitively clicking and filling
>> out dialog boxes when I already have the data in .GPX or some
>> other GPS or map program format.
>
> Given that 44 locations were involved, I would consider an hour's time
> to be a trivial task. However, you said that you already had the data in
> GPX format. It would be trivial to open it in something like Garmin's
> Mapsource and saving the waypoints as a text file. I would think that
> half an hour with a text editor would give you a POS file ready to use
> in UI-View or any other APRS client that was capable of using the file.
For things in XML, I'd suggest writing an XSL document that you could refer to
in a modified version of the .GPX document.  The XSL would output things in the
format that you need.  This would allow you to just open the document as a .XML
document in your web browser, and XSL would go through the document structure
and pull out what you need, and display in the browser window for you to copy
and paste into the needed file.  There are XSL processing applications,
standalone as well, that you could use to automate this if needed.

Gregg