[aprssig] Some obscure APRS client questions

Andrew P. andrewemt at hotmail.com
Mon Nov 14 09:11:01 EST 2011

Well, speaking only for myself, I didn't see .pos files in the original APRS 1.01 spec nor any of the addenda I read on the aprs.org website, so it looks like it didn't make it. And I've been reading them carefully (with the eye of a mil-spec proofreader), so I don't think I'd miss anything that significant.

Any chance of coming up with a new consolidated spec document? Trying to pull together all the corrections, optional additions, mandatory-but-we-have-to-be-backwards-compatible additions, spelling corrections, new feature extensions, etc., it's a little hard to be sure one has written a compatible application (though, admittedly, no worse than with any other standard created by committee).

Also, is there a standard regression test suite for validating compliance with the APRS spec? I just found an obscure typo in my code, and couldn't be sure I've gotten it right yet. And I'm having to guess from what I monitor on the air; not only does my local area not exercise every possible part of the spec, I _really_ don't want to be transmitting bogus emergency messages just to test my code's emergency message handling.

Andrew Pavlin, KA2DDO